Hot weather is officially upon us! That means we will probably be using one of the most toxic substances we put on our bodies....
Well now we got a recipe for a 'do it yourself' natural and non-toxic coconut oil sunscreen!
According to “Oils of Nature” by Anthony J. O’Lenick, the oils with the highest natural SPF’s are:
carrot oil graded as 38-40
raspberry seed Oil at 28-50
Jojoba oil, sesame oil and coconut oil at a range of 4-10
Sadly these oils alone won't be protecting you from that cali sun. That's when zinc oxide comes in with its UVA protection (the aging rays). When sourcing zinc oxide please make sure it's of high quality.
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup shea butter
1/8 cup sesame or jojoba oil
2 tbsp. beeswax granules
1-2 tbsp. zinc oxide powder *optional
1 tsp. red raspberry seed oil
20-30 drops carrot seed essential oil
Essential oils of your choice - lavender, rosemary, vanilla, and/or peppermint *optional
Instructions from delicious obsessions:
1. Using a double boiler (or a small pan over very low heat), melt your coconut oil, sesame or jojoba oil, beeswax, and shea butter together. The beeswax will be the last to melt.
2. When the beeswax is melted, remove the mixture from the heat and let cool to room temperature. If you’re using zinc oxide, whisk it in at this point, being careful not to create a lot of dust. If there are some lumps, that’s OK. They will break up when you whip the body butter in step 4.
3. Move the mixture to the fridge for 15-30 minutes. You want it to start to set up, but still be soft enough to whip.
4. Take the mixture out of the fridge and using a stand mixer or hand mixer, start to whip it. Drizzle in the red raspberry seed oil, the carrot seed oil, and any essential oils of your choice, and continue whipping until the mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Use as you would any regular sunscreen. Application rates will depend on your activity and exposure to water. Store in a glass container in the fridge between uses.
Enjoy the sun! And don't end up like this guy!